PP8-The old court

Medieval Ensemble "Old Court" ("Curtea Veche") code 1049/B-II-aA-18779, 31 dating 15th – 18th C. The Manuc's Inn (Hanul lui Manuc), code 1060/B-II-mA-18788, 62 dating 1808. Old Court (Curtea Veche) Church Ensemble, code 1051 / B-II-aA-18781, 16th – 18th -20th C. "St. Arhangheli Mihail si Gavril, St. Athanasie cel Mare" Church, code 1762 / B-II-mA-19464.01, dating 1724. Architectural Ensemble “The Linden Tree Inn Street” ("Str. Hanul cu Tei"), code 1178 / B-II-aB-18908, dating the end of 19th C.
25 Pins17 Followers
In the Stavropoleos Church the traditional religious music is sung differently than in the most churches in Romania; only traditional religious music, but in a different way. The Stavropoleos Choir sings only Byzantine music. Experts call it neo-Byzantine or traditional-Byzantine to avoid controversies related to the Byzantine Empire space and its period. The music is sung in a single voice accompanied by a sound named “accompaniment”.

In the Stavropoleos Church the traditional religious music is sung differently than in the most churches in Romania; only traditional religious music, but in a different way. The Stavropoleos Choir sings only Byzantine music. Experts call it neo-Byzantine or traditional-Byzantine to avoid controversies related to the Byzantine Empire space and its period. The music is sung in a single voice accompanied by a sound named “accompaniment”.

Its founder, Manuc Bei (Manuc Mârzaian) was born in 1769. The land on which it is built belonged in the late eighteenth century to the Royal Court (Curții domnești). The Inn has hosted dignitaries who held peace discussion at the end of Russo-Turkish War (1806-1812). Dacia Hall hosted the meetings of politicians in the years before World War I. The building has undergone major restoration in the years: 1848, 1863, 1966-1970, 1991-1992 and 2009.

Its founder, Manuc Bei (Manuc Mârzaian) was born in 1769. The land on which it is built belonged in the late eighteenth century to the Royal Court (Curții domnești). The Inn has hosted dignitaries who held peace discussion at the end of Russo-Turkish War (1806-1812). Dacia Hall hosted the meetings of politicians in the years before World War I. The building has undergone major restoration in the years: 1848, 1863, 1966-1970, 1991-1992 and 2009.

The other buildings are the result of an extensive restoration project in 1897, by well-known architect Ion Mincu. Lateral apses and a porch on the west façade were added giving the church the triconch form characteristic of the Muntenian architecture.

The other buildings are the result of an extensive restoration project in by well-known architect Ion Mincu. Lateral apses and a porch on the west façade were added giving the church the triconch form characteristic of the Muntenian architecture.

Hidden among higher buildings, the Stavropoleos Church is on Stavropoleos St., in the historical center of Bucharest, behind former Postal Palace (now the National Museum of History). A Greek monk, named Ioanichie, built the small and beautiful church. It is a place with the most representative and excellent influences of Brancovenesc art: stone columns, pedestals, capitals.

Hidden among higher buildings, the Stavropoleos Church is on Stavropoleos St., in the historical center of Bucharest, behind former Postal Palace (now the National Museum of History). A Greek monk, named Ioanichie, built the small and beautiful church. It is a place with the most representative and excellent influences of Brancovenesc art: stone columns, pedestals, capitals.

Hidden among higher buildings, the Stavropoleos Church is on Stavropoleos St., in the historical center of Bucharest, behind former Postal Palace (now the National Museum of History). A Greek monk, named Ioanichie, built the small and beautiful church. It is a place with the most representative and excellent influences of Brancovenesc art: stone columns, pedestals, capitals.

Hidden among higher buildings, the Stavropoleos Church is on Stavropoleos St., in the historical center of Bucharest, behind former Postal Palace (now the National Museum of History). A Greek monk, named Ioanichie, built the small and beautiful church. It is a place with the most representative and excellent influences of Brancovenesc art: stone columns, pedestals, capitals.

Manuc arrives in the capital of Wallachia and is forced to settle here because of the Russo-Turkish war. In the same year he starts building the inn, to be completed in 1808. At that time, the architecture of the building was innovative because Manuc wanted his inn to be different and not to have the allure of a fortress like the inns in the 18th century.

Manuc arrives in the capital of Wallachia and is forced to settle here because of the Russo-Turkish war. In the same year he starts building the inn, to be completed in 1808. At that time, the architecture of the building was innovative because Manuc wanted his inn to be different and not to have the allure of a fortress like the inns in the 18th century.

The Stavropoleos Church includes, besides the church built in 1724 by the Greek Archimandrite Ioanichie, premises built in the early 20th century by architect Ion Mincu. Originally, was built an inn, but fast it became a good location for a sacred place of prayer. From the initial construction of the monastery and the inn has retained only the church, one of the most iconic buildings in late Brancovenescu style. The church was built with a cupola on a quadrilateral plan.

The Stavropoleos Church includes, besides the church built in 1724 by the Greek Archimandrite Ioanichie, premises built in the early 20th century by architect Ion Mincu. Originally, was built an inn, but fast it became a good location for a sacred place of prayer. From the initial construction of the monastery and the inn has retained only the church, one of the most iconic buildings in late Brancovenescu style. The church was built with a cupola on a quadrilateral plan.

In present, from the monastery all is left is the church with another building from early twentieth century, which houses a library, a conference room and a collection of old icons (early eighteenth century) and cult objects. On March 26, 2008 the Stavropoleos Monastery was re-established, and is dedicated to St. Archangel Michael and Gabriel and St. Justin, Martyr and Philosopher. On June 4, 2012 Stavropoleos Monastery church was re-blessed by Patriarch Daniel of Romania.

In present, from the monastery all is left is the church with another building from early twentieth century, which houses a library, a conference room and a collection of old icons (early eighteenth century) and cult objects. On March 26, 2008 the Stavropoleos Monastery was re-established, and is dedicated to St. Archangel Michael and Gabriel and St. Justin, Martyr and Philosopher. On June 4, 2012 Stavropoleos Monastery church was re-blessed by Patriarch Daniel of Romania.

Manuc’s Inn, the most beautiful building in Wallachia, extends partially over the territory of the Old Princely Court. The territory was bought by Manuc, being in the commercial centre of Bucharest. The streets from the old centre of Romania’s capital are named after the traders who sold their goods there, like: Lipscani St., where were sold goods from Leipzig, Gabroveni St. where were sold clothing brought from Gabrovo, Covaci St., where were blacksmiths a.s.o.

Manuc’s Inn, the most beautiful building in Wallachia, extends partially over…

The access to the first floor was through two wooden stairs. In the rooms from the ground floor were quartered travelers who arrived at the inn for a short period of time, and upstairs were quartered the ones who lingered for a longer period.

The access to the first floor was through two wooden stairs. In the rooms from the ground floor were quartered travelers who arrived at the inn for a short period of time, and upstairs were quartered the ones who lingered for a longer period.

Pinterest
Search