Zesty mascarpone cheesecake bars
Published on May 24, 2022
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Serving Size: 8 servings
Light and creamy cheesecake, with a zesty topping. The cheesecake is not overly sweet, so it is paired really nicely with the curd and meringue.
- •200g digestive biscuits
- •75g butter, plus a little for the tin
- •300g mascarpone
- •250g cream cheese
- •150g double cream
- •3 eggs
- •2 yolks (save egg whites for meringue in a clean bowl)
- •120g caster sugar
- •Zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- •1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- •Juice and zest of 2 limes and 1 lemon (or 2 large lemons)
- •1 whole egg
- •1 yolk
- •65g caster sugar
- •45g butter
- •Pinch of salt
- •60 egg white
- •120 g caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180c fan
- •Line a 25cm square baking tin with baking paper
- •Whizz the biscuits in a food processor, Melt the butter and add this to the biscuits; mix then press into the base of the tin. Bake for 10 minutes, then leave to cool.
- •Turn the oven down to 100c fan. (Open oven door for 2mins to help cool it down)
- •Wash and dry the food processor bowl, then add all the cheesecake layer ingredients expect the zest and whizz a few times.
- •Scrape round the bowl with a spatula and whizz again until smooth.
- •Pour through a sieve to remove any lumps. Mix in zest then pour into the tin and bake for 1 hour to 1hr 10 mins until the edges have set and the middle still has a jiggle.
- •Let cool and chill in fridge for a few hours or overnight until firm.
Then make the curd.
- •In a pan mix the lemon/lime juice, zest, sugar and egg & egg yolk.
- •Mix together then stir constantly over a low heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Be sure to constantly mix it so it doesn’t over heat and turn to scrambled egg. Mix in a bowl over a pan of simmering water if you don’t feel confident making it straight on the heat.
- •Pour through a sieve into a bowl and add the butter and mix in.
- •Pour over cheesecake. Tip tin to spread out then chill.
- •Weigh the egg whites that you have then use double that amount of sugar.
- •Set a pan of water on the heat and place a clean dry heat proof bowl on top, but not touching the water.
- •Using an electric whisk whip the egg whites until frothy, then start adding the sugar a little at a time
- •while constantly whisking. Once the sugar has all been added, whisk over the heat until the meringue is warm to the touch and the sugar has completely dissolved..
- •Then remove from the heat and whisk until the meringue is cool and at firm peaks.
- •Pipe onto cheesecake then torch with a blow torch.