Ox train in Wayzata 1880s: This photograph of an oxen trail was taken where Rice and Broadway currently intersect. Below, sitting on the North side of the railroad tracks is the small building which was Wayzata's first train depot. Ox-drawn carts would bring furs and other goods to the railroad which ran from Wayzata to Minneapolis. Years later the tracks were extended to Willmar and beyond.
The Village Hall was built in 1904, two years prior to the Train Station across Lake Street, and was often described as "one of the prettiest structures in the state." As seen in the photo, it had a classic portico and Gothic pillars. Village offices, the post office, library, city hall, and fire department were all housed in this facility. The handsome structure burned to the ground in 1955.
The Batson Brothers Shell Station was located at Batson Corner (the south-east corner of Central Ave. and Superior Ave.) where Heritage Park is now located. Pictured are the three sons of Sam Batson - John, Tom and Phil. Sam was a realtor, and the Batson boys ran the station. They sold eggs and other produce from the Batson family farm located behind the station.
Sam Rettinger built this building for his son, Mel. Rettinger Motor Company was the exclusive location to buy Ford tractors and Model T's. The building's architecture was Tudor Revival with a stucco and brick finish. It burned in 1949 (or was it 1952!) To the right on Lake St. and Manitoba is the Wayzata City Hall with the Day Kallstad Building in the background, which today is owned by Chuck Schoen.