Andersonville (Camp Sumpter) was a Confederate prisoner of war camp during the American Civil War where 45,000 Union soldiers were kept prisoner on 26 acres of swamp with no shelter or water. 14,000 men died there of disease, starvation, torture and beating. The prisoners were forced to live in their own filth and drink the water they used for a latrine. The pictures of the survivors are as horrific as any Nazi concentration camp. The commandant was the only Confederate executed for war crimes.
The Andersonville National Historic Site, located near Andersonville, Georgia, preserves the former Camp Sumter (also known as Andersonville Prison), a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp during the American Civil War. Most of the site lies in southwestern Macon County, adjacent to the east side of the town of Andersonville. As well as the former prison, the site also contains the Andersonville National Cemetery and the National Prisoner of War Museum. 12,913 of the approximately 45,000 Union pris
(Many were transferred to Andersonville.) On April 12, 1865 (3 days after Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox) Union General George Stoneman arrived in Salisbury to free the Federals. By this time all of the app. 8,000 remaining prisoners had been transferred elsewhere for medical reason. The prison was burned, the only one recorded as having been destroyed in this manner.