Oregon City Walking Tourmcloughlin Historic District
The land for this beautiful walkway was donated to the public by Dr. John McLoughlin. The Promenade was constructed in 1938 through a public works program implemented by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. This Oregon City landmark features period stone work and amazing views. Photo courtesy Jim Row.
Dr. John McLoughlin rendered aid to countless pioneers completing their journey along the Oregon Trail, founded Oregon City and even served as its mayor for a brief time. His tireless efforts earned him the nickname "Father of Oregon. His home was moved to its current location in 1909 and is now a National Park site.