Hometown Oakland collection, past and present #oakland
Pianist Dave Brubeck and his wife Ollie (1960) "Ollie and Dave collaborate on lyrics and music in the Brubeck living room. All five children are also musically inclined and enjoy listening to records" (via SFPL) An East Bay native, Brubeck was educated at Mills College and, during the 1960s, lived in Oakland while his jazz quartet took up a long residency at San Francisco's Black Hawk nightclub.
Packard auto showroom on Lake Merritt (ca. 1928) Master Arts and Crafts architect Bernard Maybeck designed two ornate showrooms, one in San Francisco and one in Oakland, for California Packard distributor Earle C. Anthony. Around 1939, the Oakland building was sold to a Buick dealer, and the entire site was torn down in the 1960's to make room for a parking lot.
Street paving circa 1900. Oakland had no paved streets until 1864, when workmen laid six blocks of macadam along Broadway between Fourth and Tenth streets. The price of the Civil War-era contract showed how little people trusted paper money. The cost came down fourteen cents a foot if payment was made in "gold coin of the United States of America
Montclair/Oakland - Crowd of prospective buyers arrive at the Real Estate sales office and observatory in Montclair Hills - 1923 (per license plate), possibly driving Chevrolet's made nearby in the automakers factory in East Oakland. Oakland made some many vehicles in the day that it was dubbed the "Detroit of the West", which was actually consider to be a good moniker.
After FDR’s death in April 1945, the Potomac began a long and ignominious decline from her former role in world affairs. After many adventures and many owners – including Elvis Presley at one point – she was seized in 1980 in San Francisco as a front for drug smugglers - impounded at Treasure Island, she sank. The ship was raised and unceremoniously dumped on the East Bay Estuary where she sat abandoned and rotting. A week away from being sold as scrap the ship was rescued by the Port of Oakland
Oakland City Hall: This majestic Beaux-Arts building was the first government building designed as a skyscraper. The railroad track being laid (foreground) is for the Western Pacific Passenger Service to Sacramento. The Lionel J. Wilson “Flatiron” building is at the corner of Broadway. Frank H. Ogawa Plaza in foreground at the site of the former City Hall. Oakland City Hall was the tallest building west of Chicago at the time of its completion in 1913. Collection of the Oakland History Room
"Cleveland Cascade, Oakland Public Parks, Oakland, Cal. The electric lights behind the shells are arranged in spectrum sequence. Howard Gilkey, landscape architect." Photograph and caption appeared in: Gilkey, Howard, “The Role of the Landscape Architect,” American Landscape Architect Vol. IV, No. 3, March 1931 | via Friends of the Cleveland Cascade