·Charleston, SC Beach
Last updated 4 years ago
Fort Moultrie Flag
General William Moultrie was a celebrated soldier from South Carolina during the American Revolution. He is credited with saving Charleston from the British after taking a small fort on Sullivan's island. After the war, he served as Governor of South Carolina. The Fort Moultrie flag is named after him. This was the flag he raised over the fort on Sullivan's island. The fort was also named in his honor.
Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina was built by South Carolina patriots to protect Charleston Harbor. On June 28, 1776, British warships attacked the fort. William Moultrie, commander of the 2nd South Carolina Regiment, and his 400 men fought a day-long battle which ended with the heavily damaged British warships being driven from the area. Today, the fort has been restored to reflect the story of American sea coast defense through World War II. A visitor center is nearby.
Station 14 Sullivan,s Island, back then and now. Note the trolley tracks In the 1890s a trolley line was built from Mt. Pleasant to the Isle of Palms, known as Long Island back then. Charleston beach goers could catch the ferry, Commadore Perry, and ride to Mt. Pleasant and then catch the trolley. The Grace Memorial Bridge, opened in 1929, put the ferry and trolley out of business
In 1961-1965 I lived on Sullivan’s Island. We spent a lot of time during the summers on the Isle of Palms. The clubs at night, Old Side, Light House and the new Sea Side. The Old Side would sometimes have the Riveras or Dardenelles, both very good bands. The Light House would sometimes have Piano Calvin who also played at the Sands west of the Ashley. The New Sea Side would have big name bands like the Temptations. During the day we would hang out at Walter’s where the beer was 30¢.
The church in the center of the photo is St. John The Baptist Catholic Church, Sullivan's Island 1865. The first Mass celebrated in Saint John The Baptist was on June 22, 1845. The cornerstone for present day Stella Maris Church was laid on January 18, 1869. Stella Maris was dedicated on June 21, 1874, replacing the old St. John The Baptist Church.